"Ken Kha Gai" Soup
This is my spin on the traditional Tom Kha Gai soup, a chicken coconut milk soup)
Click HERE to print recipe.
Servings: 4 – 16oz. servings (pint mason jars work great for portioning)
Calories: 595 kcal
• 2 cans coconut milk (full fat)
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 2/3 cup water
• 1 lb. chicken breast
• 1/4 cup red palm oil
• 2 stalks of lemongrass
• 2” chunk of ginger
• 4-6 garlic cloves
• 4 oz. mushrooms (Bella, cremini, your choice…)
• 1/2 to 1 tbsp. Sambal (fresh ground chili paste) – to taste
• Salt to taste
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (and extra for garnish if desired)
• Serrano chili pepper (for garnish if desired)
1. Slice the chicken breast super thin, stir-fly style. Add the palm oil to a large frying pan and cook the chicken just until white.
2. Separate the chicken from the oil and pour the oil into a stock pot.
3. Add the chicken stick/broth, coconut milk, and water.
4. Peel the ginger and cut into small chunks. Add ginger and garlic cloves (whole) to the pot.
5. Clean and cut the lemon grass in half, and then split length-wise and add to the pot.
6. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat as simmer for 30 mins.
7. Slice mushrooms on a mandolin slicer or by hand into thin pieces and set aside.
8. Remove lemongrass stalks from pot and grab the immersion blender. Blend for 2 mins. Strain mixture through a wire mesh colander to remove any residual chucks and return all liquid to the pot.
9. Add mushrooms, sambal, cilantro, and chicken. Cover and let simmer for 10 mins.
10. Serve with fresh cilantro and thin sliced serrano peppers.